Claim for payment to someone in another EU country

Have you or your company received a letter with a claim for payment to someone in another EU country (European Order for Payment)? If so, the person who applied (the applicant) wants us to decide that you must pay.

You have received a letter with a claim. The reason is that we have received an application from a person or company in another EU country.

In Sweden, the Enforcement Authority has the role of competent court. We process cross-border claims, meaning you and the person who wants to be paid live in different EU countries. Denmark is the exception — it is not possible to apply for or determine a European Order for Payment there.

Important that you take action

Now it is important that you respond, take a position, and act. If the claim is incorrect, you must notify us. If you do not take action, we may decide that you are obligated to pay.

Reply to the letter

First, reply that you have received the letter. You can find out what to do here:

Respond that you have received a letter with a claim

Take one of the following actions

You can act in several ways depending on whether you think the claim is correct or incorrect.

The claim is correct – you are able to pay

What to do

You must pay to the applicant or their representative.

Contact the applicant or representative to find out how much you must pay, any interest up to the date of payment, and other payment details. Your bank can help you with foreign payments and foreign exchange rates.

Notify us in writing by email or letter once you have paid.

What the applicant and we do

The applicant must now withdraw their claim.

We will close your case when we receive notice from the applicant that they are doing so.

The claim is correct – you are unable to pay

What you can do

You can contact the applicant or representative and ask if you can agree on an instalment plan or another solution.

Even if the applicant agrees, the application can lead to a decision that you must pay. To avoid this, the applicant must withdraw their claim.

You do not need to notify us that you believe the claim is correct.

Update your contact details

You should not confirm that you have received the decision. It is therefore important that you notify us if you have a new address so that you receive the decision.

What we do

We decide that you are obligated to pay or do what is stated in the claim.

The decision (the declaration of enforceability) is sent to you a few days after the time to take action has expired. A declaration of enforceability can be compared to a judgment.

What the applicant does

The decision means that the applicant can immediately apply for, for example, attachment.

You may then be required to pay additional fees. You can find more fees and costs on our website.

Fees and costs

If the claim is wrong – you can object

If you believe that the applicant's claim is wrong, you can object to the claim

  • by post— fill in, sign and submit “Form F”, which is included in the letter
  • by email — attach “Form F — Contesting the European Order for Payment” to your email.

European Justice: European Payment Order forms

Your objection must have been received by us within 30 days from when you signed the acknowledgement of receipt.

Important to consider

Remember to sign your objection. If you don't, we cannot process it.

We refer the case to a court

We will hand over your case to the court if the applicant requests this. After that, we close your case. The court considers whether the claim is correct or not.

We close your case even if we have not handed it over to a court.

Objecting may cost extra

You may be required to pay the applicant's legal costs if your case goes to court and you lose the case.

Object if the claim is incorrect

It is important that you object in time if you consider the claim to be incorrect. A determined claim cannot be appealed.

If you believe that a determined claim is incorrect, you can apply for a review in exceptional cases. An application for a review of a European Order for Payment must be in writing and submitted to the Court of Appeal.

Please contact us if you have any questions.

If you object and the case is sent to court

If your case goes to court, you may continue to receive new documents through so-called simplified service. Then the court will send you two letters. You do not need to confirm that you received the documents; you are still considered to have accessed them. How it works:

  1. The court sends a letter with the documents to your last known address (it may be an email address if you have provided one).
  2. If the letter is returned, the court will send the letter to your registered address, unless it was already used.
  3. The next business day, the court will send a control message to the same address. If you only receive the control message, but not the document, you must immediately contact the court.
  4. The court considers that you have received the document two weeks after sending you the first letter. For example, if the first letter was sent to you on 1 April, you are considered served on 15 April.

Remember this while the case is ongoing:

  • Notify the court if you change your residential address or email address.
  • Check your mail at least every two weeks. Notify the court in advance if you are unable to access your mail.
  • You may receive documents through simplified service, even if your case is appealed or handed over to another court.

Record of non-payment

You may get a record of non-payment once you have received a decision (verdict) stating you are obligated to pay or do something.

A company may receive a record of non-payment when we receive an application for the company to pay or do something. The decision alone may lead to a record of non-payment for a company.

What rules apply to a European Order for Payment?

When the applicant has applied for a European Order for Payment, the following applies

  • Regulation (EC) No 1896/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 December 2006 creating a European order for payment procedure
  • Act (2008:879) on European Order for Payment
  • Regulation (2008:892) on European Order for Payment.

The debt can be collected in the EU

When a claim in a European Order for Payment is determined by us or by a foreign court, it becomes valid throughout the EU, except in Denmark. This means that the debt can be collected in all EU countries, except in Denmark.

Debt abroad that we can collect